The mission of Department of Science and Technology – Philippine Council for Health Research and Development (DOST-PCHRD) and Faculty of Tropical Medicine (FTM), Mahidol University (SEAMEO TROPMED Thailand) is to address health systems needs by developing and strengthening capacity for health research through teaching and research for advanced knowledge in medical sciences and medical services. Hence, both institutions agreed to collaborate on the development and implementation of a graduate scholarship program.
The Foreign Graduate Scholarship Program offers exciting opportunities for research training particularly on tropical diseases. The program aims to provide opportunities to deserving students to study and obtain graduate degrees abroad and develop a pool of high-quality human resources who will contribute to the country’s global competitiveness and economic development.
The three-year multidisciplinary program offers broad areas in Tropical Medicine including Protozoology, Helminthology, Medical Entomology, Microbiology and Immunology, Social and Environmental Medicine, Tropical Hygiene, Tropical Nutrition and Food Science, Tropical Pathology and Molecular Tropical Medicine and Genetics focusing on active learning experience in well-equipped laboratory and at field site to equip graduates with multidisciplinary knowledge and skills in Tropical Medicine.
The two-year program focuses on equipping students with scientific knowledge on tropical diseases, public health and related subjects. The goal of the program is to provide a balanced education that combines knowledge, skills, and moral values. The program has been developed to stimulate students to embrace life-long learning in scientific research, develop their soft and communication skills, and build their leadership ability.
One position for PhD program and two positions for MSc program will be available each year at FTM Mahidol University - SEAMEO TROPMED Thailand (Subject to the availability of funds)
The applicant must:
- Be a Filipino citizen;
- Be in good health condition;
- Not be more than 50 years old at the time of application;
- Have completed B.Sc./M.Sc degree in related field of study;
- Have an outstanding academic record;
- Passed the admission requirements for the MSc/PhD study;
- Passed the interview and other screening procedures;
- Have research interests which are aligned with the National Unified Health Research Agenda (NUHRA) and Harmonized National Research and Development Agenda;
- Conduct his/her research for the entire duration of the scholarship and of the MSc/PhD Program; and
- Be willing to render the required service obligation for a period equivalent to twice the length of time or a fraction thereof that they enjoyed the MS/PhD scholarships.